I haven’t been everywhere but, it’s on my list

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 by Cassandra Nix   |   Categories: Immigration Law

If you’re a young (that is, not 31 yet – and 40 is not the new 30) traveller keen to experience the world, it is a great time to do so! Through reciprocal arrangements governments of the world are extending an international invitation to young foreigners to travel the globe.  These reciprocal arrangements facilitate entry into the destination country using a visa.


For Australia, you will need to apply for and have your visa approved prior to entry. So, make sure you have a valid passport and have the visa in hand before you enter – it would just be embarrassing to be detained at the airport on your first big adventure without your parents! (Also side note – pack clean underwear, book flights, change over some money).


For those young travellers coming to Australia there are 2 types of working holiday visas – the Working Holiday (subclass 417) visa and the Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa. These visas allow you to do basically the same thing (that is, work and holiday and study short term) however your passport country will determine which is the most appropriate for you.


To be eligible for one of these visas, you should meet these 3 criteria as a minimum (note – there are a few other criteria too):

  • be at least 18 and have not yet turned 31 when the application is lodged;
  • not be travelling with a dependent child; and
  • hold a passport from an eligible country


Eligible Passport Countries

Subclass 417 visaSubclass 462 visa
ü  Belgium

ü  Canada

ü  Republic of Cyprus

ü  Denmark

ü  Estonia

ü  Finland

ü  France

ü  Germany

ü  Hong Kong

ü  Republic of Ireland

ü  Italy

ü  Japan

ü  Republic of Korea

ü  Malta

ü  Netherlands

ü  Norway

ü  Sweden

ü  Taiwan

ü  United Kingdom.


ü  Argentina

ü  Bangladesh

ü  Chile

ü  China, People’s Republic of

ü  Indonesia

ü  Israel

ü  Malaysia

ü  Poland

ü  Portugal

ü  Slovak Republic

ü  Slovenia

ü  Spain

ü  Thailand

ü  Turkey

ü  United States of America

ü  Uruguay


The Subclass 417 visas allow holders to stay for up to one year in Australia.  At the end of the second year, holders may be eligible to apply for a second visa (valid for 12 months) provided that certain criteria are met. That is, as long as you’ve picked fruit in northern Queensland for at least 3 months (or undertaken other regional work). 462 visa holders are not able to seek an additional grant of a 462 visa. Both 417 and 462 visa holders cannot work for the same employer for more than 6 months.


If you are planning to travel to our island home, Baker Love Lawyers can assist you to get travel ready. Call us on +61 2 4944 3322. Happy and safe travels!